A child theme is a same but modified theme of a major theme created for WordPress website. It can be used to change the look of an existing WordPress theme. While modifying a child theme you don’t need to alter the coding of a parent theme and it will easily converted as per your desire.
Why Use a Child Themes?
Many of the WordPress bloggers and developers like to use a child theme while customization for a blog. You can easily customize a theme by adding new functions in functions.php file or by editing the theme’s style sheets. If you will customize your blog in child theme you can avoid from two major mistakes.
- In case of any coding error your website will not break.
- When you have to update the new version of theme, all your changes will remain same.
Child themes are very useful for the beginner WordPress bloggers and developers who don’t have extraordinary knowledge about WordPress development.
Conditions when you cannot use child theme
- Editable changes. However, while using a child theme you will not be able to edit codding of a WordPress child theme. If you have to add a specific code in a theme and it is not possible make in the customization area of that theme you have to redirect from child to parent theme.
- Making CSS changes. When you have to make some changes in CSS of the theme like change the colors or fount of your theme you cannot do it in a child theme.
- Changing the structure or functionality. The hold to change the functionality or structure of the theme is not available in a child theme you have to choose parent theme first for these type of changes.
If you newly stepped in WordPress blogging we recommend you to choose WordPress child theme, because it is more beginners friendly, where they can make basic changes to make their blog according to your requirements.